Returning to Seattle

I have to say that we faced our return to Seattle with a mixture of sadness, expectation and an enduring love for this new part of the world that we had discovered in Fiji. Most of the tourists we had encountered while in Fiji were either newlyweds on their honeymoon or couples who were getting married in Fiji. Fran and I have been happily married for sixteen years. So, we were almost feeling like the exception to the rule. But that was alright. We had accomplished most of the things we had wanted to do. We still very much would have liked to have spent the full two weeks we had originally planned, but eight days gave us a great deal of enjoyment indeed. So, it was not suprising that we got up before dawn and went out on the beach to watch the sun rise over the Pacific Ocean. As it happened, one of the other guests, one of the other people from the Pacific Northwest had the same idea and was out there watching the sun rise. We really would miss this place and have since returning to Seattle. It has taken a while to adjust. In particular, the one element about Fiji that is so different from Seattle is that there is nothing so important that it cannot be done slowly in Fiji. The exact opposite is true in Seattle. I am not sure if Fiji is more inspiring in this regard.

       And as when we came, our luggage proved heavy. Actually, heavier than when we arrived. Our scuba gear was still a tad bit damp from having all of that good Fijian seawater rinsed off of it. And, as when we came, we had to stand on the scales and make sure we did not overload the plane we returning to Nadi in. As we walked around Maravu, our luggage waiting by the front desk, there was a restless kind of discontent that we wished we could stay here longer. And yet, there was a similar draw to go back to our own water bed and our hot tub and television and even news. The blackout of news a week after the events of September 11th was welcome at the time, but there was still a desire to find out what was happening even if we dreaded what would find out. Though we knew to expect it, to be serenaded with a song of farewell and have a circle flowers placed around our necks only made us know we wanted to return. There is a tradition in Fiji that if you lay a flower on the water that you will return one day. Fran laid a flower on the water and, yes, we plan to return one day.

       This was all the more true after the twenty eight hours it took us to go from Taveuni to Nadi and wait. Then from Nadi to LAX then wait. Then from LAX to SeaTac Airport in Seattle. The one good thing was our baggage could be checked all the way through easily once we got through customs. The not so nice thing was that once we did arrive back in Seattle five other United flights arrived at the same time and they elected to schedule shift change. Net result was an hour and a half wait for our luggage. This would not be so bad except for the twenty eight hours that preceded it. Our waterbed never felt so good. And in less than a week we did a boat dive with Bandito Charters in the cold cold waters of Puget Sound. I have to say it is lot nicer diving in Fiji, but I think now that we will get so we like diving here maybe not better but in a different and enjoyable way nonetheless. Vanaka everyone for letting me share this wonderful experience with all of you.